6 Tips for Successful Meal Planning


Hi guys!

I have been successfully meal planning each week for over a year now.  I know some people find it difficult to do and stick to long term, so I thought I would share some of my top tips.

1. Schedule your Shopping Day - Choose a weekly time to go shopping/order online and stick to it.  If your shopping day changes on a weekly basis it make meal planning more difficult so choose a day that suits you best and stick to it.

2. Stock Take - Check what you already have in your cupboard, freezer and fridge.  You may spot things that need using up which you can then make a note of and include in your meal plan for the week.

3. Special Offers - If you have a budget to stick to you may wish to look at the top offers available at the retailer you will be shopping at as it may influence which meals you choose to make that week.  For example the super 6 vegetables on offer at Aldi may decide which vegetables you will serve with each dish for the week.

4. Meal Plan - Devise a meal plan for the week.  Double up meals where you can so you cook once and eat twice to save time and energy (your own and of your appliances).  This works well for things like pasta bake, lasagne, chilli, stew and casseroles.  You may also like to dust of the slow cooker for days when you have less time for cooking come the evening.


5. Flexibility - You don’t have to meal plan every single day of the week and you are free to swap meals around if you don’t fancy what you had planned for that evening. 
I personally shop on a Tuesday after work (before dinner) and plan 4 meals for Tuesday night – Friday night.  I keep the other 3 days flexible to eat what I want or eat out at the weekend.

6. Shopping List – Once your meals are all planned write out a shopping list with everything you will need to make those meals.  Don’t forget to add on your usual staples for breakfast and lunches.  

I literally have to include everything I need – I once did the weekly food shop and forgot the milk!  Also, jot things down as and when you get low or run out of them.  I currently use this A5 shopping list which I picked up from Paperchase.


I hope you find these tips useful.  If you have any tips of your own please feel free to leave them in the comments below.

Happy Meal Planning!


This is my own personal opinion and not sponsored in any way.

Comments